- Global smartphone sell-in robust in November; Sell though also grows sequentially
- November sell in was robust as iPhone 12 series production was full steam ahead. Also, Chinese brands like Xiaomi and Oppo tried to produce as much as they could but were held back by shortages in components like chipsets from MediaTek as well as power management and display driver IC’s. Sell in during this November could have exceeded last year without these component constraints.
- Sell through demand improved compared to last month in regions like US and China as the shopping season began.
- Europe and Japan sales also grew sequentially driven by the first full month of iPhone sales. Middle East and Africa smartphone demand is also recovering strongly entering Q4 which is traditionally the busiest shopping season.
- Apple grows significantly during the first full month of the new iPhone Sales
- Apple captured over one-fifth of the global smartphone market as its sales increased 55% month on month and 20% year on year, driven by the new iPhone 12 series.
- The pent-up demand for a new 5G iPhone, strong carrier promotions especially in the US, the longevity of iPhone 11 are some of the reasons for this growth.
- Apple’s October-November iPhone sales signal a record Q4 quarter. 2021 will also be very strong as some demand falls into Q1 and if Apple returns to a September launch there will be very positive comps vs. 2020.
- Premium Segment (US$600 and above) captures over one fifth of global smartphone sales in November
- In November, the global smartphone market skewed towards the premium segment as US$600 and above price band captured 22% of the market share as compared to 13% last month.
- This increase was driven by Apple, as it captured 81% of share in the ultra-premium price band and 66% of share in the US$600 – US$799 price band.
- The trend is likely to continue in December driven by the year-end festive season sales. The supply for the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max is getting more regular as lead times fall.
Table of Contents:
- Key Takeaways
- Global Mobile Handset Market Analysis
- Country-Level Smartphone Market Analysis
- Global Hardware Feature Analysis
- Global Hit Model Analysis
Author: Varun Mishra
Number of Pages: 41
Published Date: January 2021
If you are interested in purchase, please contact us at email@example.com