- Global mobile phone shipments reached 436 million units globally in Q1 2019 with a YoY decline of 12%.
- Global smartphone shipments reached 341 million units in Q1 2018 with 6% annual decline.
- The global smartphone market showed no sign of recovery in Q1 2019. The rate of decline accelerated, due to inventory corrections by some brands and the production halt during Chinese New Year. Another reason for the decline is lengthening replacement cycles, especially in the premium segment. The replacement rate for iPhones is close to 36 months, while the replacement rate for premium Android devices is closing in on 30 months. This can be attributed to the higher quality of devices, increasing average selling prices (ASP), and the lack of innovation sufficient to motivate consumers to upgrade.
- Huawei (including HONOR) became the second largest brand as its share reached the highest level at 13% in Q1 2019. It was also the fastest growing brand in the top 10.
- Overall LTE shipments continued to decline at 6% YoY as global smartphone market slowed down. Although, notable OEMs like vivo, Huawei and OPPO grew, the decline of Samsung, Apple and Reliance Jio caused the overall market decline.
- LTE has made inroads to the entry-level segment and is quickly replacing 3G even in emerging markets. As more users transition to smartphones in emerging economies, and cost of access to the device (example smart feature phones) as well as data services comes down, the transition rate will further increase in 2019. 3G shipments declined 32% YoY in Q1 2019.
- As 4G picks up, we are also seeing an increasing demand for dual VoLTE capable phones in markets like India.
Table of Contents:
- Pivot Chart
- Global Market by Geography
- Asia Pacific
- Key Asian Countries
- North America
- Western Europe
- Central & Eastern Europe
- Key European Countries
- Central & Latin America
- Key Central & Latin America Countries
- Middle East & Africa
- Key Middle East & Africa Countries
Author: Shobhit Srivastava
Date Published: May 2019
If you are interested in purchase, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org