This report is one of the series of reports which tracks mobile handset: Smartphone and Feature Phone shipments every quarter for more than 140 brands covering more than 95% of the total device shipments in the industry.
- Global mobile phone shipments reached 436 million units globally in Q1 2019 with a YoY decline of 13%.
- Global smartphone shipments reached 341 million units in Q1 2019 with 6% annual decline.
- The global smartphone market declined for the sixth consecutive quarter. As consumers held onto their devices longer, especially higher-end phones. Only Chinese brands Huawei, OPPO and vivo were able to register a growth in the first quarter of 2019. We estimate the smartphone decline will soften with the improving China economics, in the coming quarters. India and Central & Eastern Europe were the only regions not showing a decline during the quarter.
- Samsung recorded an increase in revenue as Galaxy S10 flagship smartphones did better than Galaxy S9 at the time of launch. The brand is going through a restructuring of its smartphone line-up by launching a new M series and A series smartphone.
- Apple iPhone shipments declined year-over-year for the second consecutive quarter. It is increasingly difficult for Apple to grow ASP’s and China remains a declining market for the company. Apple's services, user experience, and companion products make up for its slow adoption of the newest technologies. The growth potential for premium products may be difficult in upcoming quarters. iPhone XR was the best-selling iPhone during the quarter.
- Xiaomi smartphone shipments declined annually as it faces competition in the home market. The brand continues to do well in India and entering new markets to offset the decline in the home market.
- BBK Group (which owns OPPO, Realme, vivo and OnePlus brands) is collectively the world’s third largest manufacturer. All its brands registered growth during the quarter.
Table of Content
- Pivot Chart by Brand
- Pivot Chart by Geography
- Global Market by Geography
- Asia Pacific
- Key Asian Countries
- North America
- Western Europe
- Central and Eastern Europe
- Key European Countries
- Central and Latin America
- Key Central and Latin America Countries
- Middle East and Africa
- Key Middle East and Africa Countries
Author: Shobhit Srivastava
Published Date: May 2019
If you are interested in purchase, please contact us at email@example.com