Our Q1-2020 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one Infographic in each quarter to summarize the handset and smartphone market activities in a single page.
Some quick observations from the smartphone market:
- Global smartphone shipments declined the fastest ever 13% YoY reaching 294.9 million units in Q1 2020 .
- This is the first time since Q1 2014, that the smartphone market has fallen below 300 million units in a quarter.
- All the regions (APAC, LATAM, Europe and North America) registered decline during the quarter. However, few countries like India (5% YoY) and Russia (8% YoY), grew.
- China, being the initial epicentre of the pandemic, registered one of the steepest decline (-26% YoY) during the quarter
- Apple remained resilient even during the COVID-19 as iPhone shipments declined only 5% YoY Q1 2020
- Huawei surpassed Apple again during the quarter. Over half of smartphone shipments for Huawei are now in China.
- Xiaomi (7% YoY), and realme (157% YoY) were the only major brands to achieve growth. The expansion in markets outside China for both the brands has paid off
- Samsung declined 19% YoY during the quarter. With, low presence in China and most of its market hit by COVID-19, the OEM is likely to decline steeper in Q2 2020
- The share of 5G smartphones increased to over 7% in Q1 2020, compared to 1% in Q4 2019. 5G is likely to help the rate of recovery during the second half of 2020.
Some quick observations from the feature phone market:
- Global feature phone shipments declined 12% annually reaching 83.5 million units in Q4 2019.
- Feature phone shipments in MEA grew 9% YoY capturing over 41% of the global feature phone shipments.
- Transsion Group led the global feature phone market capturing over 30% of market share.
- Alcatel and DORO continue to do well in the US, driven by KaiOS based GoFlip and 7050.
Table of Contents:
- Global Smartphone Shipments Market Share
- Regional Smartphone Market Share
- Global Feature phone Shipments Market Share
- Regional Feature Phone Market Share
Number of Pages: 2
Published Date: May 2020