Our Q3-2019 Market Monitor report has been published. We release one Infographic in each quarter to summarize the handset and smartphone market activities in a single page.
Some quick observations from the smartphone market:
- Global smartphone shipments remained almost flat annually reaching 380 million units in Q3 2019.
- India (10% YoY) grew the highest followed by MEA(8% YoY). China continued to decline at 5% YoY.
- India smartphone shipments reached a record high 49Mn units during the quarter.
- Huawei grew 28% YoY capturing close to 40% market share in China. Over 60% of Huawei's shipment in the quarter were from China.
- Samsung led the market growing 8% YoY with a strong demand of A and Note series. Huawei’s loss in the overseas market would be a big opportunity for Samsung in coming quarters.
- Samsung continues to lead the 5G devices market with its flagship Samsung S10 and Note 10 series 5G variants.
- Apple iPhone shipments fell 4%, and iPhone revenues fell 11% year-on-year. The positive response for the latest iPhone 11 series during the tail end of the quarter is a silver lining for Apple.
- Global smartphone market consolidated further with top 10 brands capturing 83% of the total market as compared to 73% a year ago.
Some quick observations from the feature phone market:
- Global feature phone shipments declined 21% annually reaching 88 million units in Q3 2019.
- Over 65% of the total feature phone market is captured by MEA and India.
- Although a developed market, feature phone shipments in the North American region increased 58% YoY. The increase was due to strong sell-in of KaiOS based Alcatel Go Flip and Doro 7050.
- iTel continued to remain the top feature phone player for the second quarter in a row.
- Multilaser became the top feature phone player in the Central and Latin American market. The OEM launched the Multilaser ZAPP with KaiOS in Brazil.
- Jio slipped out of the top 5 feature phone players as Jio Phone shipments declined 93% YoY on account of high inventory.
- The Smart Feature Phone segment scaled less than expected in Africa. However, KaiOS continues to expand in the region with a series of new launches.
Table of Contents:
- Global Smartphone Shipments Market Share
- Regional Smartphone Market Share
- Global Feature phone Shipments Market Share
- Regional Feature Phone Market Share
Number of Pages: 4
Published Date: November 2019