Every release of the Android operating system (OS) includes new features which optimize the overall device experience and improves the security of the device. The OS updates present smartphone manufacturers with an opportunity to create a point of differentiation as many manufacturers either don’t bother updating their devices’ OS or take many months to issue the update. We think this issue deserves more attention because maintaining optimal software performance is critical to the long-term health of the smartphone.
Currently, Nokia leads in the regularity of software and security updates among the top Android smartphone brands; 94% of its portfolio is updated to the latest Android version within a year of release, making it the fastest brand to reach this level. In terms of security updates, it again leads the rankings by issuing 100% of the monthly Android security patches to its complete portfolio.
Table of Contents:
- Software and Security Updates- The Missing Link Among Smartphone Makers
- Executive Summary
- Competitiveness Index Among Leading Android Smartphone Makers
- Why operating system updates are important
- Who is best at keeping their smartphones up to date?
- Why operating system security updates are important
- Google doubling down on privacy and security
- Who is best at keeping their smartphones secure?
- Android One Smartphones
- Android Enterprise Recommended Smartphones
- How are OS updates made?
Number of Pages: 22
Author: Tarun Pathak and Peter Richardson
Published Date: August 2019